- Many prisons around the world have interesting websites or books have been published about them providing an account of the history of their administration, prison reform, discipline and so on. Here are websites and titles you may wish to use for further research.
- Click here for a link to the website of the Old Bailey in London. This incredibly resource-rich website contains a wealth of information about prison adminsitration and discipline as well as transcripts and images of original trial records of thousands of individuals tried at the Old Bailey (also known as the Central Criminal Court). Many men sentenced at the Old Bailey ended up at Port Arthur.
- The Oxford history of the prison : the practice of punishment in western society edited by Norval Morris and David J. Rothman. New York: Oxford University Press, 1995. This publication examines all aspects of the development of the prison and provokes debate into the relevance of prisons in a modern society.
- Design for convicts : an account of design for convict establishments in the Australian Colonies during the transportation era by James Semple Kerr. Sydney: Library of Australian History, 1984.
- For images of the Separate Prison at Port Arthur. check Picture Australia and type Model Prison in the search field.